Renowned chef Mem Hockley of Mem’s Soul Food Cooking School will share unique and exciting recipes, dishes and flavours from around the world with you. Then source the ingredients yourself from our wide variety of retailers to recreate the delicious cooking experience in your home. Look out for more flavour-filled cooking demonstrations at Inala Plaza.
Mem Hockley was born in Sydney Australia, to Asian parents from The Philippines and Sri Lanka. Her passion for quality food led to her employment in several restaurants across Sydney, including the Hotel Intercontinental Sydney, where she gained valuable knowledge and experience as a cook.
Following a move to the Hunter Region, Mem saw the need to introduce quality cooking and more importantly, culture, to the area. Mem started her mission at the Newcastle City Farmers Markets, where she prepared and sold various Asian delights.
The popularity of her food, success of her market stall, and ever-increasing demand for her food, resulted in Mem opening her own restaurant. More recently, she has created Mem’s Soul Food Cooking School: A cooking school designed to educate and inspire students to select and buy fresh ingredients locally and cook dishes at home … with love.
Attend a cooking demonstration with Mem at Inala Plaza
Terms & Conditions
Cooking with Mem
Cooking with Mem
1. Class format. Cooking with Mem is a cooking demonstration. There is one work station for the Cook and then the attendees can enjoy a feast of the meals prepared. Demonstration aspects of the demonstration ensures we cover enough to follow the recipe provided.
2. Dietary requirements. Unfortunately, we do not cater to all dietary requirements. Please note that if you have any of the following allergies or intolerances we prefer you not to sample the meals prepared. As an example only; allergies or intolerances, are lactose free or gluten free, vegetarian, vegan or halal).
3. Children. Our classes are suitable for all ages, however children under the age of 12 must have an adult accompanying them.
4. Recipes. We endeavour to use the freshest ingredients in all our demonstrations, which means from time to time may need to adjust our recipes, substitute ingredients, or change a dish if ingredients become unavailable.
5. Cancellation of Classes. On rare occasions we may need to cancel a demonstration because of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents or illness. If this does occur you will be advised by email.
6. Check In App. You will be required to Check In via the Check In App when you attend the demonstration for contact tracing purposes.
7. Gift. If you register to attend the demonstration you will be entitled to a free Cooler Bag. Just present your booking confirmation to staff. (First 25 people to register.)